{Eco Boutique} Global Goods Partners: It's All Good

Friday, May 10, 2013


{ 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Today's Eco Boutique is Global Goods Partners. But first, let us start here: to know me is to know that brevity is not my strength. Just ask my friends, family + coworkers. Just recently a friend and I talked for 9 hours straight - we took bathroom breaks of course, and while there were drinks involved, I do believe most of what we shared was fresh content. 

Even the folks who stand behind me in line at the grocery store will vouch for my verbose nature. I love taking in and sharing information. Knowledge is power, right? And I suppose I feel empowered when I know what you're going to be using all those tomatoes for.

I've finally found a site that thoroughly satiates my inquisitive nature and provides a plethora of information about not only the producers of the phenomenal fair trade fashion {featured above + below here}, but also a detailed history of past events, including timelines + maps, of the 20 countries from which the artisans hail.

Included are detailed bios of the 38 partnering organizations along with pictures, names + direct quotes from the artisans who deftly craft these beautiful goods. Names are important to me and, and these details go straight to my heart {I once had a spunky, no-nonsense boss who changed her last name to Freed after overcoming sizable obstacles in her life}. Global Goods Partners satisfies a curious mind and a deficient closet.

From our friends at Global Goods Partners:
As professionals in the international development field, Catherine Lieber Shimony and Joan Shifrin traveled to impoverished areas around the globe to support community-based groups. Time and time again, Catherine and Joan met dynamic women that were producing beautiful, handmade goods. 

They saw first-hand how women in marginalized communities throughout Asia, Africa, and the Americas were able to plan for long-term community development and social change only after their income was stabilized. In 2005, Catherine and Joan were inspired to found Global Goods Partners to create effective income-generation opportunities for women and their communities through access to the consumer market for handmade, fair trade products.

Global Goods Partners is a nonprofit organization that sells handmade, fair trade products in order to improve the economic status of women in marginalized communities around the world. GGP works with nearly 40 artisan groups which collectively employ over 3,000 women in close to 20 countries. The online store offers socially-conscious consumers a direct connection to artisan partners that are changing women’s lives by helping them to build sustainable livelihoods. We are women, hear us roar.
 { 5 / 6 / 7 }

No comments :

Post a Comment