{Coming Clean} Safe Cleansers for All

Friday, May 17, 2013



So today's post will be about, ahem, cleaning products. Yawn, snore! you may be thinking as your head hits the keyboard, but just ahead there are some juicy tidbits about Angie + Brad {okay, I made that up, but seriously, these products are going to make you feel really gooood}.

I love to clean; I mean I really love to clean. I find it calming + downright therapeutic. I know there are others out there like me because I recently read it on a fellow greenie's blog. Maybe we should start our own club.

Before I greened my cleaning routine, I used to get headaches, sinus congestion + a sore throat when I spritzed + sprayed. No fun. And the eczema I once had? I had no idea it was related to the ingredients in my detergents + household cleaners.

The following companies are committed to products that are non-toxic, biodegradable, petroleum-free, free of phosphates, and they use safe surfactants that do not mimic human hormones. They are also free of Formaldehyde + Dioxane, a known carcinogen.

{fun facts}
1. ecover founded in a garden shed in a wee Belgian town in 1979, the folks at ecover knew that toxic cleaners containing ingredients like phosphate pollute waterways, destroy wildlife + even cause harm to the people using them, so they decided to do something about it. They know nature provides powerful ingredients + they believe dishes should not have side effects. 

2. seventh generation's catalog of plant-based products includes baby diapers, laundry detergent, dish soap + tampons. have cute pics of your small fries? join their campaign for a toxin-free generation + upload a pic of your cutie-pie + they'll donate $1 to Women's Voices for the Earth.

3. eco nuts are packed in a box with no plastic. they provide a handy comparison chart that shows how their little golden nuggets stack up against the big guys. psst, if you have sensitive skin that breaks out easily like mine, this is just what the doctor ordered. oh, and don't be surprised by the color of the nuts; your clothes will still be clean as a whistle.

4. ecos they actually made a movie that chronicles the life of founder Van Vlahakis who immigrated to the US in the 1950's with little more than $20 and built a multi-million dollar business at a time when green products were indeed the road less traveled {so there is a little slice of Hollywood for you after all}. and yes, I may have gotten teary-eyed during the preview. btw, I called over to ecos once to ask a question about the fragrances used + the sweetest woman patiently answered my questions. if ever I'm having a bad day, I may just have to call to chat with her. 

Oh, and if you haven't heard of better life, it's another great brand with a great story. Click right on over for a nice, long list of animal-friendly products here from PETA and you can hop on over to Organic Consumers Association for a list of recommended products here. Learn how to make your own cleaners for a fraction of the cost right here.

 {eco nuts / ecos }

No comments :

Post a Comment